Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Favorite Albums of 2012 (# 10-6)

If you read my blog this time last year, you'll remember that I wrote a post about my top ten favorite songs of the year.  Well, this year I thought I'd write about my favorite albums instead.  Please keep in mind that I haven't had a chance to listen to everything I wanted to this year.  As a result, this list is subject to change.

10. Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal

Okay, technically this record was released in 2011, but that was only in Iceland.  North Americans couldn't get their hands on a copy until April 2012.  And yes, it was worth the wait!  Strong folk melodies and compelling vocal harmonies make this band's debut an instant classic.








9. Shearwater - Animal Joy


Shearwater's seventh studio album may feel a bit more accessible than their previous work, but it still stays true to their signature operatic style.  With heart-pounding rhythms and majestic vocals, Animal Joy is a record that takes you on a journey that you'll not soon forget.






8. The Walkmen - Heaven

Heaven sounds a bit generic at first, but that's all part of its charm.  The Walkmen's "back to basics" mentality is in full stride on this record, and Heaven is an excellent example of how rock music can still sound fresh without being groundbreaking.






7. Menomena - Moms


To tell you the truth, I'm not too familiar with Menomena.  However, after listening to Moms, I feel like I need to rectify that right away.  This record is filled with intimate lyrics, clever compositions, and downright bizarre undertones which are all based on the theme of mothers.  It's a bit experimental, but it's also accessible enough to be enjoyed casually.





6. Grizzly Bear - Shields

I have a soft spot for Grizzly Bear's 2006 album Yellow House, as it was one of the first albums that got me interested in indie rock.  Unfortunately, it's 2009 follow-up Veckatimest didn't really do much for me.  Shields, however, completely restored my faith in the band.  Placing a greater emphasis on pulsating rhythms and concise lyricism, the band sounds less secluded, and more personal than ever before.






...so far, so good...right?  Stay tuned next week for #5-1!

1 comment:

  1. Considering I have not heard of any of these, I will make my new year's resolution to be downloading them! Can't wait to check them out and to see what else you've got up your sleeve. :)

    ReplyDelete